Brandon Frere of Ameritech Financial: What Can You Learn from Your Student Debt?
There are lessons to be learned from having student debt. Student loan borrowers often regret decisions they made regarding loans, and while the past can’t be changed, borrowers can avoid repeating history and instead make decisions they are proud of. Ameritech Financial, a private document preparation company that specializes in helping people apply for federal repayment plans and forgiveness programs, encourages borrowers to seek out lessons from their student debt and apply them to their financial life as a whole.
“Helping borrowers manage their student loans is at the core of what we do,” said Brandon Frere, CEO of Ameritech Financial. “And the right payment plan sets them up for success. But we also believe that borrowers can use their student loans as a catalyst for bigger change—especially if they have regrets about the past.”
Ameritech Financial assists clients in applying for and maintaining enrollment in repayment plans offered by the Department of Education. The company also assists borrowers in getting on track for forgiveness. But once borrowers have their student loans under control, what next?
Some people may be inspired to turn their attention to their other financial issues. However, they may not even know where to start. Ameritech Financial has a few questions to nudge borrowers in the right direction, and the company encourages borrowers to lean on their student debt experiences when thinking about the rest of their financial life. Here are three sets of questions to get started:
The Value of Education
- What did you gain — intellectually, socially, and financially — as a result of your student loan-funded college education? How can you make up for anything you might be lacking from your education?
- Do you want to keep going with your education and, if so, how are you going to fund it? How will completing a degree or pursuing a new one serve your career goals in the future?
The Value of Debt
- If you have other kinds of debt, how are you managing it? Have you prioritized payoff of that debt?
- After taking on student loans, how are you going to approach taking on new debt in the future?
- What kind of debt is necessary in your life, if any, and what kind is unnecessary? What kind of debt is most important for furthering your life goals? What kind of debt is safest—and what kind of debt is most risky—for you specifically?
The Value of Cash
- If you have income, how are you allocating it? How much is left over after you pay your bills, including your student loan and other debt payments?
- What goes into savings? Are you considering a retirement fund, a college fund for your kids, or an emergency fund? What about a fund for a down payment on a house or a vacation and leisure fund? Which of these savings is most important to your life and your priorities?
- Are you considering investments? If so, what kind? How risky are they? Do you know how to search for the type of investment that’s right for you?
“The thing about your student loans is that now that they’re here in your life, you might as well use them for your benefit,” said Frere. “One way is making them the launchpad for bigger change. At Ameritech Financial, we use our expertise to help borrowers get in control of their student loan situation. But student loans are just one piece of the puzzle.”
About Ameritech Financial
Ameritech Financial is a private company located in Rohnert Park, California. Ameritech Financial has already helped thousands of people with financial analysis and student loan document preparation to apply for federal student loan repayment programs offered through the Department of Education.
Ameritech Financial is a member of the Association for Student Loan Relief (AFSLR), and each representative on the phone has received the Certified Student Loan Professional certification through the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators (IAPDA).
Ameritech Financial prides itself on its exceptional Customer Service.
Need help paying for your student loans?
Let Ameritech Financial pave the way towards financial freedom.Learn More